Families First is changing!
Families First provides a range of important ‘early help’ services for families. In April 2017, Welsh Government issued new guidance for the Families First programme.
In response, the central team in Cardiff carried out a review that considered:
- Information from talking to families (parents, carers and young people) and to professionals who work with families about their experience – this is set out in the Stakeholder Engagement Report
- Information about priorities from the Population Needs Assessment for Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan
They identified that that we needed to:
- Provide a clearer point of access to information and advice about services for families
- Provide more coherent services that families in all areas of Cardiff can access based on need, with a focus on parenting and support for young people
- Improve the ways in which we make sure that families receive the right services at the right time
Recommissioning Families First
The plans for commissioning the new programme were set out in a report that was approved by Cardiff Council’s Cabinet in July 2017.
The new programme will be starting to mobilise from 1st April 2018. Cardiff Council will be delivering some elements in-house, but partner providers will deliver other elements.
This is an overview of the new services.
We will also update this website with information about the plans and the new arrangements as they are put into place.
Would you like to be involved?
Parents, carers and young people have been working with us to help make decisions about the new services. They will also be involved in helping to make sure that those services are delivering effectively and to make any further changes that are needed. If you would like to be involved in this and are a young person or a parent/carer with dependent children living in Cardiff, we would like to hear from you. Please contact FamiliesFirst@cardiff.gov.uk.
Information about service changes
If you would like up to date information about the services that are available for you or a family you work with, please contact Support4Families on 0808 800 0038.
The Families First team have also prepared some information about changes to the original Families First services that can be viewed here.